The empty-nesters purchased their "new" 1873 stone house not just for the house proper but for the barn, silo, chicken coop and grounds to garden.
The house, however, didn't have the amenities or spaces to fit their lifestyle and taste. They sought a design which was not-so-big but felt open and, critically, felt appropriate to the history of the house..
A primary design focus was to open the first floor to allow views through the deep window openings set within the twenty inch thick stone walls. To accomplish this, the stair was relocated from within the original footprint into a compact addition. The addition also provides for a new entry, sitting room, guest sleeping-alcove and exercise room.
The design preserved and exposed historic features, including the stone walls, hand-hewn wood timbers and peg-jointed rafters. All interior construction was removed to the stone to allow for the installation of new insulation and electrical, plumbing and HVAC systems